Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Lost with Three Songs

     The storm hit fast.  Before we could get back to land, the storm set in and made it dangerous to be out on the sea.  My friends and I couldn't even stand on the fishing boat as the waves crashed into the side of the boat.  The boat's hull was starting to become breached, about to take on water.  In the distance was an island, like a haven from the darkness that was surrounding us.  We set the ship to head towards the island and water breached the hull.  It was clear the ship wouldn't last long as the breach became wider every minute.  Lightning struck the pole for the sail.  It was becoming extremely dangerous now.  The island was getting closer and the ship was getting lower.  The bottom of the ship hit the shallow water of the island, putting us a few hundred feet out from the shore.  The ship felt as though it was ready to tip over because of the wind and waves.  Quickly, we each got a knapsack and filled them with food, drink, fire starters, tools, and hatchets.  I also put my MP3 player and a few packs of AAA batteries in mine.  Nick grabbed a backpack with an inflatable raft in it.  We grabbed two tarps, one tarp per pair of people, to carry to shore.  As soon as we got off the ship and about twenty feet from it, it tipped over on its side.  There was no way we could use the ship to get back in its current condition.

     Once we got to land, the storm had settled to nothing more than rain.  We had food and water for now, so that wasn't a concern.  However, the sky, though dark from the storm clouds, was starting to give a slight orange hue, signifying that the sun was close to setting.  Ernst went to search for dry wood to start a fire while nick, Justin, and I set up the tarps to make some form of shelter using the trees near the beach to hold up one and set the other on the ground.  It wasn't much, but it would have to do as a shelter for the time being.

     While we waited for Ernst to return with dry wood, I looked in my knapsack for my MP3 player.  It had suffered water damage, but still turned on.  However, most of the songs on it had become corrupted.  Only three songs were not corrupted.  They were "Death Waltz" by John Stump, "Fantasie Impromptu" by Frederic Chopin, and "And He Returned" from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest remade by OverClocked Remix.  The storm had subsided.  Ernst returned with a bit of dry wood and we started a fire.  We discussed how we planned to get off this island, and Nick pointed out he had grabbed the inflatable raft.  The raft was our only way back to mainland, but it would only be able to take two people safely across to get help and hold enough supplies at that for two or three days, enough for them to survive as we calculated how far we must have gone.  We decided Justin and Nick would go to land to get help for Ernst and myself.

     The next day, the water was calm and Justin and Nick set off to mainland.  Ernst and I had almost enough supplies for a few days ourselves if we ate very little and drank very little, but that wouldn't do.  I began to look for a source of water while he searched for food.  After what seemed like hours, I found a stream in the forest.  I had to be about half a mile from the camp.  I filled the bottles with the fresh water and, using my hatchet, chopped a bunch of markers into the nearly trees and started to head off in the general direction of the camp, chopping a mark into a tree here and there to mark my way.  Ernst was already back at camp cooking two rabbits when I returned.  I pulled out a bottle of the water and handed it to him and told him about the markings I made on the trees toward the water source whenever we run low on water.  He took one of the cooked rabbits off the fire and handed it to me.  For being partially burnt, it was good and saved use of our emergency supply of food.

     A week passed before the helicopter came.  In that time, not much had happened, minus light rain every down and then.  It was good to be going home, though, because I got tired of listening to the same three songs soon enough that I started listening to the sound of the sea., a peaceful sound.  Maybe I will one day get a vacation home on a beach somewhere, maybe this island if I can ever afford it.





No comments:

Post a Comment